Monday, February 15, 2010

Cross the Lake

A new idea is in the works after doing no outdoor stuff this past weekend.

We had brunch at the Edgewater Hotel Sunday, Jenny's aunt and uncle hosted a party after the baptism of their third grandchild. Jenny and I are the sponsors and as a bonus the church service also had a marriage vow renewal ceremony. Great day even considering I wore a suit about 10 times longer than I have in the 11 years I've owned it. Okay on with the outdoors stuff.

The hotel restaurant looks over Lake Mendota and as we ate lots of people went skiing, or walking by we also saw snowshoe tracks. That all looked fine but I wasn't keen on just a loop out and back I wanted to go across the whole thing. Clearly by bike is the way to go but I suspect this will be a solo adventure. Looking at Google maps the ride will be about 6-7 miles one way from Middleton to downtown Madison so up to an hour and a half each way depending on snow conditions. Coffee downtown then return by lake, road or get a ride if Jen and the boys want to come in. In a brief moment of complete craziness I had thought of the tandem plus trail-a-bike plus Jen solo for a family trip. Big shock no takers, maybe I can get Jenny to change her mind.

Madison's Winter Festival is next weekend and looks fun. We plan to get the family there one of the days just to check things out.