Monday, July 19, 2010

Gravel and Dirt


Thanks to the expected high temps and humidity Jenny and I headed for the woods this weekend. We rolled out early on the local rail trail which connects to Blue Mounds State Park and the single track trails we wanted to ride.

Jenny got to buy some new pedals for Kevin's mountain bike. She rides platforms off-road but I suggested they might not be so much fun for the rail-trail. The new pedals are one side spd opposite side a platform and seemed to work out. The bearings are still tight and she had to turn the platform side up by hand quite often.

This was the first time on single track this year for both of us and it showed. I was able to clear some of the tough spots but nothing close to what I was doing last season. We both went down at different times, Jenny came home worse off since she landed in some gravel. I fell off the trail when I failed to unclip, turned out my cleat was very loose.

In the end we had fun but came home more beat up than we hoped. The only casualty was Jenny's gloves which we tried to replace but so far no luck. She did come home with a new pair of cycling shoes, good deal at 25% off, glad the first shop didn't have the right size.