Friday, February 11, 2011

Snowshoeing in the Yard

Last week we got a huge snowfall.  School was closed the next day, people were stranded on the roads, and the village workers are still removing snow from the roads.  Chad was even called off from work, and his trucks go out in more bad weather than the postal workers. 

At 11:30 p.m. during the storm I ventured outside to clear the furnace vent pipes, as the huge drift out the kitchen window finally covered them over.  Going out through the deck, the snow was up to my hips and my tracks covered in the blowing snow by the time I turned around to go back inside.  The wind continued and the next afternoon the pipes were covered again.  I certainly needed to clean the drift out again.  The fire department had a call that day to a duplex with the carbon monoxide alarm sounding and we had to trudge to the back of the house to clear their pipes.  Chad suggested I wear his snowshoes to clear the drifts and get back to the corner of the house without sinking into the snow.  Zack came out with me, using his snowshoes and he had so much fun we stayed outside until the sun was setting.