Sunday, June 14, 2009

Wishing for a speedier recovery

I haven't had much to say lately about my knee, but I go back to PT this Tuesday. I've been busy with numerous exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee, but there has been a little more pain in the knee with this increased activity. Shallow squats, weight bearing exercises and a walk to run program are things I have been doing the last few weeks. The walk to run program is slowwwww. The first week was walk 4 minutes, then jog slowly for 1 minute. Rotate this pattern for 15 minutes then done. This program gradually increases the jogging time each week until it switches to jogging and running. So of course it feels like forever until I am back at normal activity, and with summer in full swing that is a little difficult to not be able to get out and do everything I want to do. I am trying to get Kevin to come walk/jogging with me because he is interested in running and those speeds are better for him starting out and training. He went with me Friday evening and it went good.

Since biking is not restricted, Chad and I went for a 30 some mile ride on the tandem this morning in hilly territory. It felt great to get out and feel like I accomplished something of significance. I didn't take enough along with in carbs, but the ride ended at our house so when I got back I tried out the PowerBar Gel Blasts in lemon flavor. They were quite chewy and didn't seem to me to have a liquid center. It was softer then the outside but not oozing out. Maybe it would be different if they had traveled in my back pocket in the heat instead of straight out of the cabinet at home. Not that I would want anything oozing out and drippy, but that's just how the picture on the package looks. The lemon flavor was not bad and not too tart or overpowering. They did not stick in the teeth at all, and seemed to do the job. Hard to tell on the effects of them in the stomach with continued exercise since I was already done but I ate just about the whole package minus a couple I shared with Chad and a friend that was riding with us. I still prefer the Sharkies, mainly because of the flavors available and smaller size of the packaging.

Not much for pain in the knee after the ride, so I am hoping good thoughts for my PT appointment. I hope it is still showing signs of healing. I worry that after all the work of rehab that it will still end in surgery.

It will be a busy week getting ready for vacation next week. I sure need a vacation, and am really looking forward to a relaxing time spent with the family. Biking, hiking, kayaking, geocaching, shopping, ice cream eating, sunset watching are all on the list of things to do. There will most likely be a much anticipated release of the kids travel bugs. More about that to come later.